An update to our patients & families:
On Oct. 29 the Food and Drug Administration approved Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine given at one-third of the adult dose for emergency use in children ages 5 to 11. Additionally, the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control announced its endorsement of the FDA’s approval on Nov. 2. The vaccine was approved for children/teens ages 12 to 15 on May 10, 2021, and approved for everyone 16 and older on Dec. 11, 2020.
On Oct. 1, Governor Gavin Newsom announced the COVID-19 vaccination would be added to the list of required vaccines for all California public school students, beginning as early as July 1, 2022.
We know this is a lot of information to come out in a short period of time, and our patients and their families likely have questions about the vaccine and whether or not it’s the right decision for their children. A lot of helpful information about the available COVID-19 vaccines and their safety is available from the CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html
At Kids Care Dental and Orthodontics, the health and safety of our patients is our top priority. If you need information on scheduling a vaccine appointment for you or a family member, visit https://myturn.ca.gov/.
Kids Care and COVID-19 Safety:
- You will be asked to complete a health screening for COVID-19 before your appointment.
- Masks are required for all patients, parents and staff regardless of vaccine status.
- Our employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 or regularly tested and negative for COVID-19.
- Vaccines are not required for Kids Care patients to receive treatment, but we are happy to talk about the vaccine and answer any vaccine questions you may have.
Below you may find some answers to the most frequently asked questions, and if you do not find the information you need, please don’t hesitate to contact us, so we can help.
Is it appropriate to keep or schedule my child’s next appointment amidst the continued COVID-19 concerns?
Yes. While social distancing remains important, it is equally important to keep your child’s dental health a priority. Declines in dental care over the past several months have resulted in delayed treatment and the worsening of oral health conditions. We encourage you to continue your child’s regular preventive dental care with us.
Is the office clean and safe?
Absolutely. While we have continued to employ the Centers for Disease Control and state and local health and safety recommendations, we also installed a medical-grade, turbocharged air “scrubber” that removes 99.9% of particles and bacteria, including COVID-19, in many of our practices.
Rest assured, we already:
- Employ the highest level of sanitation practices in the treatment areas
- Maintain rigorous personal hygiene requirements in all areas of the practice
- Supply hand sanitizing stations for patients, families and staff
- Actively engage a clinical advisory council of esteemed medical specialists to provide critical oversight on policies and procedures
Additionally, we have:
- Installed safety barriers in the open bays and at our check-in/check-out desks
- Increased training and support to our employees in order to better assist our patients and families
- Daily wellness checks to confirm the health of each employee prior to seeing patients
- Increased frequency of surface disinfection in high traffic areas such as our reception areas
- Screening of patients and families for illness prior to their visit
Do I need to wear a mask?
Yes. It is a California requirement for all — including those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 — to wear a mask when obtaining health care services. Please review California guidelines with any concerns or exceptions by clicking here.
Is there anything else I should do differently for my post-COVID visit?
We encourage patients and families to continue to practice safe social distancing, obtain a COVID-19 vaccine, wear a mask, and to reschedule your child’s appointment if you or anyone in your family are sick.