Pediatric Oral Surgery
Kids Care Dental & Orthodontics is a pediatric dentistry practice offering oral surgery services at our locations throughout Northern California. We aim to provide the highest level of care in a stress-free, comfortable environment.
Oral Surgery to Extract Wisdom Teeth at Kids Care Dental & Orthodontics
There are many reasons surgery may be indicated. One of them is the need to remove wisdom teeth.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that typically appear when a person reaches their mid-teens to young adulthood. They are located at the back of the upper and lower jaws. Not everyone has wisdom teeth, and not all wisdom teeth cause problems. However, when they do cause symptoms, they may include:
- Bad breath
- Difficulty chewing
- Ear pain
When Do Wisdom Teeth Need to Be Removed?
Sometimes, wisdom teeth cause dental problems that need further treatment, such as oral surgery procedures. These problems may include:
- Impaction: This occurs when a wisdom tooth does not have enough room to erupt and gets trapped in the gums. Impacted wisdom teeth can be very painful and are prone to infection and inflammation.
- Tooth Decay: Because of their location in the very back of the mouth, wisdom teeth are difficult to clean. This makes them prone to gum disease and tooth decay, which can result in bad breath as well as painful and swollen gums.
- Dentigerous Cysts: Rarely, fluid can build up over the top of an impacted tooth, creating a cyst. While they might not cause pain, they could cause tooth loss, infection and other complications if left untreated.
At Kids Care Dental & Orthodontics, our doctors recommend extracting impacted wisdom teeth as early as indicated. Waiting too long can negatively impact your child’s oral health.
The Extraction Process
Impacted wisdom tooth removal involves routine surgery to extract the tooth entirely. Our dental rock stars are here to explain the process and make the experience as comfortable as possible.
After the initial consultation, we’ll work with you to determine if extracting your child’s wisdom teeth is necessary. If we find it’s an appropriate decision, we’ll help you begin scheduling the surgery and making accommodations for your child.
While routine, the procedure can last up to an hour and a half and may involve administering oral surgery anesthesia for comfort. The surgeon will carefully remove the wisdom teeth and provide you and your child with aftercare instructions to facilitate healing.
What to Expect After Surgery to Extract a Wisdom Tooth
Immediately after the surgery, your child may feel a little dizzy. This is because the oral surgery anesthesia used to ensure a painless procedure may make them feel sleepy and take time to wear off.
Your child may also feel some discomfort after wisdom tooth extraction. However, your doctor will provide your child with medication to help manage it. Be sure to have your child take this medication as prescribed.
Here are some other tips for helping ensure a smooth recovery after wisdom tooth removal:
- Limit your child’s activity, especially during the first few days after surgery.
- Feed only soft foods such as yogurt and applesauce during the healing period.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of rest.
- If any abnormal or worrisome symptoms arise, be sure to contact your doctor right away.
We at Kids Care Dental & Orthodontics are here for you and your child should you have concerns after wisdom tooth removal. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about post-operative care.
Dental Care for the Whole Family
Looking for “oral surgery near me?” Kids Care Dental & Orthodontics has locations throughout Northern California.
We provide a wide range of dental and orthodontic services to help kids and grown-ups alike keep their teeth and gums at the peak of health. Apart from oral surgery procedures, we also offer the following:
- Preventative care
- Regular dental visits
- Invisalign and Invisalign Lite
- Sedation Dentistry
For more information or to book an appointment, please get in touch.